Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hidden Mahala (lifestyle, humor)


REVIEWED BY: Ms. Cairo

MY RECOMMENDATION: NO

AMAZON SUBSCRIPTION PAGE: Hidden Mahala, published by Mahala Davis

WEB ADDRESS: http://hiddenmahala.blogspot.com/

BLOG DESCRIPTION: From a tiny town hidden in a little valley tucked away somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I share stories from the Cubicle Asylum, the Grab N' Go (and go and go) and all the folks in Frog Pond Holler. Custom Cows, Kudzu Monkeys and Bigfoot expeditions with southern recipes, folklore and culture all come together to form Hidden Mahala.

MY REVIEW: I'm assuming that this blog is supposed to be in the same vein as Garrison Keiller's Lake Woebegone stories. Unfortunately, I don't see the humor in any of it. I've never cared for blogs, or books, in which the author uses "dialect" instead of proper English.

Having said that, if you like this kind of thing...if like Lake Woebegone stories told with a Southern accent, you might like this.

A few sample paragraphs:
Ya know, I try to be positive. I do. Then I have days like today when I just can't muster the emotional strength to even try.

As most of you have been reading, we've had an ongoing problem with our plumbing. Our sewer line has never worked right for long, but for the past year, everytime it rains, we get crap backing up into the bathtubs whenever we try to run the dishwasher or the clothes washer.

It's gross ya'll.

Ma calls the town, the town says it's not their problem then we pay $300 a pop for the Rooter people to come out with the super pooper cleaner outer to clear the line. We've had to have it cleaned out twice in the past year, the last time was just a couple of months ago and now we're all backed up again.

Ma has it stuck in her head that we need the sewage line replaced. I don't remember if the last Rooter guy told her that or if she just decided that was what was wrong. We've been calling people and asking everyone for so long, that it's all one big brown blur.

We've been harrassing the guy who put in our hot water heater for months. He told T.A. or her boss or her boss' boss.. some damn body.. that he'd fix our sewer line if we could get someone with a backhoe to dig it up, which we did, then he disappeared again.

I don't ask for much in life, but I'd like to be able to flush my damned toilet or use that shiny new washer sitting in the laundry room.


RECENT ARTICLES:
-Half Nekkid Hoochie Mamas (Feb 23, 2010) [Still trying to find out what that title has to do with sewer systems backing up!)
-Cuteness Matters (Feb 23, 2010)
-Night Air (Feb 22, 2010)
-Big Ol' Hooters Only Get You So Far (Feb 21, 2010)
-Kevin Smith, Tiger Woods and My Opinion, Because I Know You Care (Feb 18, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment