Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Joke of the Day


REVIEWED BY: Ms. Cairo

MY RECOMMENDATION: NO

AMAZON SUBSCRIPTION PAGE: Joke of the Day

WEB ADDRESS: gagler.wordpress.com

BLOG DESCRIPTION: Gagler's Joke-of-the-Day is just that: a joke each day, delivered from me to you and has been around since 1996. Some of the jokes are so funny they will make you cry, some are slightly humorous, some are crude, some are a little dull/lame, some may just tick you off royally, or there will be others you will think are just not funny at all: it all depends on your viewpoint. All I ask is give it a try, pass on the ones you like to your friends and, well, I don't know about the ones you don't like (it's your call).

OUR REVIEW: At the risk of sounding completely humorless, I can’t really recommend this. But then, when I want to laugh, I watch the Golden Girls, or Bill Cosby’s monologues (available on YouTube) and stuff like that. I’m not really in to reading jokes – I’ve never found them funny.

But, I wanted to have something to fill the Jokes and Satire column (of the webpage where I’m linking each of the reviews I do here), and this was it.

So, you get a joke a day. (Pace the title on Kindle, the jokes are identified on the Kindle as "Gagler’s Joke of the Day". Whether Gagler is a man or gag-ler is a function of the jokes you read, I don’t know. [gag, as in gag on an unfunny joke, get it?]

The jokes are long in the telling – you get the setup, the story and the punchline. They average five or six paragraphs. A couple of them brought a smile to my face, I confess, but overall I didn’t think it was time well spent.

Although the jokes are on a variety of topics, some are sexually related, and some use coarse language, so I don’t think this is a “safe for kids” blog.

For example, here is the entry for Feb 10:

Sister Mary Katherine lived in a nunnery, a block away from Jack’s liquor store. One day, in walked Sister Mary K and said, “Oh, Jack, give me a pinot o’ the brandy.”

“Sister Mary Katherine,” exclaimed Jack, “I could never do that! I’ve never sold alcohol to a nun in my life!”

“Oh, Jack,” she responded, “it’s only for the Mother Superior.” Her voice dropped. “It helps her constipation, you know.”

So Jack sold her the brandy. Later that night, Jack closed the store and walked home. As he passed the nunnery, who should he see but Sister Mary Katherine? And she was snookered.

She was singing and dancing, whirling around and flapping her arms like a bird, right there on the sidewalk.

A crowd was gathering. Jack pushed through and exclaimed, “Sister Mary Katherine! For shame! And you told me this was for the Mother Superior’s constipation!”

Sister Mary K. didn’t miss a beat as she replied, “And so it is, me lad, so it is. When she sees me, she’s gonna shit!”


I can see 10-year-old boys falling down in laughter over that…. Heck, maybe even 18-year old boys… but to me?

Waste of time.

RECENT ARTICLES:
N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment