Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Angioamas Suck (brain disorder information)


REVIEWED BY: Marguerite Zelle

MY RECOMMENDATION: YES

AMAZON SUBSCRIPTION LINK: Angiomas Suck, by Kelly Swan

WEB ADDRESS: http://angiomassuck.blogspot.com/
BLOG DESCRIPTION: My name is Kelley, and I'm a mom (to Bob and Bob's Big Brother), wife (to Hubby), writer, and lackey to three cats. I like donuts just a little too much.

My oldest son, BBB, was (finally and correctly) diagnosed with Multiple Cavernous Vascular Malformations at the age of seven.

It sucks. The surgeries. The seizures. The unknown. But somewhere along the way, I made a decision--I wasn't going to let our lives suck because of it. If anything, I thought maybe, just maybe, we could even make the world a tad better because of it all.

This blog is part of how I'm trying to do that very thing.

MY REVIEW: The author of this blog said, "Most people have never heard of angiomas." And I'd never heard of it. There are two types of angiomas. The most common type is "a benign tumor derived from cells of the vascular or lymphatic vessel walls (epithelium) or derived from cells of the tissues surrounding these vessels. They usually appear at or near the surface of the skin ("strawberry birthmarks")

There is a second, more serious kind of angioma, and that is what the son of the author of this blog suffers from. "the angiomas I write about are actually the less common CCMs (Cavernous cerebral malformation or cavernous angiomas or yes, angiomas), clumps of blood vessels that occur in the brain and spine."

In this blog she shares her family's fight with this condition. "It sucks. The surgeries. The seizures. The unknown. But somewhere along the way, I made a decision--I wasn't going to let our lives suck because of it. If anything, I thought maybe, just maybe, we could even make the world a tad better because of it all."

But she doesn't dwell only on the angiomas, she's also a wife and a mom and talks about things that families do - like enjoy Halloween, and so on.

This is an interesting blog, check it out.

Sample post:
Caring Bridge

Handy-dandy FYI for today: Banging your head on a desk burns 150 calories an hr. So go nuts.

It's hard. Staying in touch with everyone. Whether it's a surgery, a medical crisis, or just regular status updates, it can be a huge challenge reaching out to all those you want to connect with. It seems no matter how hard I try, I never juggle it well.

Never.

But now there's a new way to stay connected--Caring Bridge. Through a website, phone and mobile apps, text messages, and even Facebook, you can reach out to everyone you wish.

Does it work? I don't know. I haven't used it yet. But I plan to, and I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime I figured I'd share it with you all too. It seems like it just might be an incredible way to disperse updates and reach out.

To learn more you can go here, and watch the vair cool video.

(A special thanks to Patti for letting us know about this!)

RECENT POSTS:
--We Had Such Hopes, But, Alas... (humorous, Halloween)
--Happy Halloween!
--Caring Bridge
--One Moment...



_______________
Reviews published every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

_______________________
Check out the following blogs:
Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
Rush Limbaugh Report

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for including my blog! What a great review. And like I always say, people can't help us fight something they don't even know exists. So I'm just glad we're getting the word out to others like yourself and your readers. I can't thank you enough.

    I just wanted to add for your readers--it's confusing because the terms are used interchangeably, but the angiomas I write about are actually the less common CCMs (Cavernous cerebral malformation or cavernous angiomas or yes, angiomas), clumps of blood vessels that occur in the brain and spine. Not to be mistaken with angiomas that occur on or near the near the skin. (You might have seen someone with one-they're very common--they're red blotches, sometimes incorrectly called strawberry birthmarks.)

    I know. Confusing. (I think I should put something on the blog to help explain that better. *sigh*) But that's why I write, to show others what they are, how they suck, and that our life kicks butt anyway. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited my review to reflect your comments, Kelly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete