Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Holy Mackerel (Lifestyles & Culture)


REVIEWED BY: Ann Currie

OUR RECOMMENDATION: Maybe

AMAZON SUBSCRIPTION PAGE: Holy Mackerel

WEB ADDRESS: marymoores.blogspot.com

BLOG DESCRIPTION: A humorous look at life in the slow lane, which was once the fast lane, and is often detoured.

MY REVIEW: Blog owner's note: The only blogs that receive NOs at the Kindle Blog Report are those that are inactive for some reason, or are unsuitable for the Kindle (consisting only of videos, for example.)

The only blogs that receive YESs (from now on, anyway!) are those that reviewers like.

A MAYBE means that the reviewer doesn't like it, based on their own blog preferences, but that others may. As long as the blog is regularly updated, and formats well for the Kindle, and doesn't have egregious bad language, it will typically receive a MAYBE.

Such is the case with "Holy Mackerel."
Now, on to Ann's review:

Some folks may enjoy this blog, I personally did not. I found it a bit crass and really did not need to have explicate details of the results of a sick child – I’ve been there often, got the t-shirt. You don’t need to describe it to me. Just mention the situation and the humor is still there – go into the details and I’ m gone. In fact, there are many fine points she writes about that I don’t care to read about, but hey, it’s a free country!

She writes like she is talking fast (which of course I’m southern and cannot relate to that – but I don’t hold that against her.) It is definitely a blog following her days and she stays on track. It doesn’t bounce all over the place like some people's blogs tend to do. She chronicles her life with her husband, Mr. Handsome, and her children. And, she posts fairly frequently, several times a week.

Her personality comes through. She is a mother and a wife at a turning point in her life – deciding whether or not to go back to school to study nursing or to be a paramedic (both very admirable occupations). This is no easy feat – to start over.

PARAGRAPHS FROM A SAMPLE POST
Today's post is in honour of a very special person. As you can tell, it's obviously a very special person because here I am posting on a Thursday, which I don't normally do. Sorry for screwing up your routines, guys. But this is important.

Her name is Joanna. Joanna's from the Czech Republic. My site stats told me so. Everyone, say hello to Joanna!

Joanna gets the prize as my first hater! Prize details to follow at the end of this post. I'm still in the midst of putting it together.

This is what Joanna told me the other day in the comments section of one of my posts:

I just found your blog via Warsaw Mommy whose blog, in turn, I clicked on via Finslippy. And, after reading for about 20 minutes, I find myself agreeing with your husband, the everso cutely nicknamed Mr. Handsome. You are not very funny, and frankly you seem like a somewhat unpleasant person who is finghting a lot of petty wars. But you seem to enjoy blogging and have some readers who like your writing, so to each his own, I guess.
Finslippy is a good blog. Check it out sometime to find out what "funny" is like.

Seems to me Joanna has a few issues, no?

Let's see...First of all, Joanna, I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog, and all the way from the Czech Republic! Awesome.

I just wanted to clarify a point you make early on. Please don't take offense when I say this, but you actually weren't on my blog for 20 minutes. It was more like 17 minutes 56 seconds. Which is actually still an awful lot, seeing as most people kind of read a page or two and then move on. But you? You went to seven different pages, I think, and really did due diligence before making assumptions about me. Good for you! I;d just like to point out that you either (a) were purposely taking your time in reading my posts to pick out as many faults as you could, or (b) you are an extremely slow reader to have taken almost 18 minutes to read a whole seven pages. Either way, you're diligent. Always a good thing.

RECENT ARTICLES:
--This Is For You, Joanna From The Czech Republic! Thank You For Your Patronage
--How I Saved The Country
--The list, or how to do Toronto real good with lots and lots of puke and poop
--Gowan loves me

________________________
Ann Currie publishes publishes My Life a Bit South of Normal and Silver Pieces: The Strange and Peculiar

No comments:

Post a Comment