Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Motherhood and More (motherhood)


REVIEWED BY: Marguerite Zelle

MY RECOMMENDATION: YES

AMAZON SUBSCRIPTION LINK: Motherhood and More, by Annie

WEB ADDRESS: www.motherhoodandmore.com

BLOG DESCRIPTION: I'm Annie, a Baha'i homeschooling mom of three who writes about the daily delights, doldrums, and disasters of motherhood. And life. And chocolate.

MY REVIEW: I think mothers will enjoy this blog (and dads too, for that matter!) as the author has a wonderful perspective on the whole subject. She writes with warmth and humor about all kinds of parenting topics, that all mothers will recognize!

Give it a try.

(I had to look up Baha'i, I admit: The Bahá'í Faith is a monotheistic religion founded by Bahá'u'lláh in nineteenth-century Persia, emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind. There are an estimated five to six million Bahá'ís around the world in more than 200 countries and territories.)

Sample post
Here's to the Moms I Know . . .
I was thinking today about the deep pool of amazing moms in my life. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by how they've overcome backgrounds, circumstances, and difficulties that I can't even fathom. And sometimes I'm just awed and humbled by the love and effort they put into their parenting. I have learned important lessons from the moms I know, and I'd like to recognize them.

So moms, I honor you with a virtual toast . . .

Here's to the moms I know who decorate their homes to the hilt on every holiday, even the minor ones. From you I have learned the art of making special times truly special.

Here's to the moms I know who read piles of parenting, child development, and education books, trying to be the best moms they can be. From you I have learned that motherhood is a perpetual learning process, and that there are no experts.

Here's to the moms I know who found themselves pregnant when they didn't plan to be, and who have embraced motherhood with humor and gusto. From you I have learned to go with the flow of life.

Here's to the moms I know who have struggled with infertility, who have wondered if their dreams of motherhood were really meant to be. From you I have gained a greater appreciation of the miracle each child truly is.

Here's to the moms I know who have welcomed children into their families through adoption. From you I have learned firsthand that family is not defined by bloodlines.

Here's to the moms I know with girls, who carry the weighty responsibility of being their daughter's first role model. From you I have learned the importance of following my own dreams and showing my girls what is possible.

Here's to the moms I know with boys, who adore their sons and strive to nurture that funky blend of masculine energy and sweet sensitivity. From you I have learned to appreciate the gender differences I don't fully understand.

Here's to the moms I know who have broken cycles of abuse, addiction, and dysfunction from their own childhoods with beautiful examples of mindful parenting. From you I have learned to be conscious of every interaction with my children.

Here's to the moms I know who are parenting on their own, who don't have someone to share the load. From you I have learned that women are capable of amazing feats, and not to take help for granted.

Here's to the moms I know who have lost their precious babies, who have had to endure the grief most of us won't even let ourselves imagine. From you I have learned strength and faith in the face of suffering.

Here's to the mom I know who chooses to wake up at 4:00am every day to go to work, so she can be home in time to meet her kids at the bus stop after school. From you I have learned the value of sacrificing my own comforts for my kids.

Here's to the mom I know who is a recovering alcoholic, who begins each morning with prayerful conviction and ends each day calling herself to account. From you I have learned to take life - and motherhood - one day at a time.

Here's to the mom I know who has twice as many kids as I do, and yet takes the time to cradle her child's face in her hands and smile when he asks her a question. From you I have learned the value of giving kids your full, loving attention.

Here's to the mom I know whose husband took his own life while she and her kids were home with him, and who has carried on by pouring her heart and soul into her children and her faith. From you I have learned that nothing in life is guaranteed, and that "with God, all things are possible."

Here's to the woman I know who is not, and probably never will be, a mom in the literal sense, but who sees all the world's children as her own and strives each day to help them realize their beauty, creativity, and worth. From you I have learned that moms don't have a monopoly on changing children's lives.

Finally, here's to the moms and women I know who love, teach, nurture, worry, agonize, relish, laugh, cry, yell, apologize, wonder, ache, dream, counsel, encourage, pray, play, and otherwise experience the adventure and privilege of life with children. From you I have learned that motherhood is both an individual and communal undertaking, and I am grateful for your examples, inspiration, and support.

Blessings to each and every one of you. :)

RECENT POSTS:
--Attack of the Killer Strawberry
--Here's to the Moms I Know . . .
--Death Warmed Over
--"Me Time" for Mommy
--Book Club Slacker
--Snotty Little Kids
--How to Build a Geodesic Dome in 20 Not-So-Easy Ste...
--BoyWonder Discovers a New Sport
--Einstein = Mighty Cute (Squared)
--Twitterpated
--20 Things I Hate About Everything
--P-Diddles, My MomFriend
--Fasting and "The Hunger Games"

_______________
Reviews published every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
_______________________
Check out the following blogs:
Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment